Other Historic Toronto Buildings

The list of historic Toronto buildings is vast; here are significant buildings that don't fit into the other more specific categories (like hotels or theatres). 
 

List of all subjects. You can also see all the historic photos for a given neighbourhood. We also have a list of all the photos arranged by date.

1900
  to
2014
Archival

High Level Pumping Station (The Annex)

The Yorkville Water Works and pond, on the long-ago buried Castle Frank Brook stream, stood on Poplar Plains road, just north of Dupont and the railway tracks. It was rebuilt in 1906 and renamed the Toronto High Level Pumping Station (or High Level PS, or just WS-9). As Toronto and the demand for water grew, so did the waterworks with construction through 1916. It was further expanded in 1953, and features different architectural styles including Second Empire, Edwardian Classical and Style Moderne. It continues to operate today and is now the oldest pumping station in Toronto, complete with an original steam engine from 1909.

Follow this link to our 28 entries, dated from 1900 to 2014 related to high_level_pumping_station

1930
  to
2016

R.C. Harris Water Treatment Plant

Started in 1932 and operational on November 1st, 1941, the Art Deco water treatment plant, also known as The Palace of Purification, continues to supply water to Toronto. ...more

Follow this link to our 14 entries, dated from 1930 to 2016 related to R_C_Harris_Water_Treatment_Plant

1894
  to
1994
Massey

Massey Hall

Massey Hall, built in 1894, has long been the heart of Toronto music. It was designed by Canadian architect Sidney Badgley with a neoclassical facade at 178 Victoria St. and moorish arches that span the width of the interior. He took his inspiration from the Alhambra Place in Spain as well as Louis Sullivan's Chicago Auditorium and Opera house. The Toronto Mendelssohn Choir began singing there in 1895, and the Toronto Symphony Orchestra played there from 1921 until moving to Roy Thompson hall after their Gala Farewell Concert at Massey Hall on June 4th, 1982.

For more historic information see their website

Follow this link to our 15 entries, dated from 1894 to 1994 related to Massey_Hall

1957
  to
1977
McLaughlin

McLaughlin Planetarium

The McLaughlin Planetarium inspired generations of people from 1968 through 1995. It opened on October 26th, 1968 thanks in part from a grant from philanthropist Colonel R. Samuel McLaughlin.

The outer dome is 25.3 meters (83 ft) from the ground, and has an outer diameter of 27.7 meters (91 ft). The inner dome, made of curved aluminum sheets is 23 meters in diameter, over the theatre which could seat 340 people at a time.

The planetarium projector was a 4m (13 ft) 'dumbbell' Kombinat VEB Carl Zeiss type 23/6.

Follow this link to our 14 entries, dated from 1957 to 1977 related to McLaughlin_Planetarium

1900
  to
1987
Archival

The Toronto Metallic Roofing Showroom

Designed by Henry Simpson, and built in 1896, it was designated under the 'Historic Sites and Monuments Act' on November 23rd, 1984. This Beaux-Arts style showroom stood at 1184 King Street West until it was moved to a site beside Allan Lamport Stadium in 1985. It was then dismantled a few years later, and 'put into storage'.

It was built as a showroom for the very popular architectural sheet metal products in the 1890's through the 1930's. Some additional links:

Follow this link to our 12 entries, dated from 1900 to 1987 related to metalic_roofing_showroom

1852
  to
1975
Osgoode

Osgoode Hall

Standing at the north-east corner of Queen Street West and University Ave, Osgoode Hall, and its famous "cow fence" was first started in 1829 (when the intersection was called Lot Street and College Avenue). Its initial design was by John Ewart and W. W. Baldwin in the late Palladian style. The Great Library was designed by Cumberland and Storm (1857-1860) and "features an ornate plaster ceiling, cork floors, and etched glass windows." The building is owned by the Law Society and the Government of Ontario.

Follow this link to our 18 entries, dated from 1852 to 1975 related to Osgoode_Hall

1900
  to
1910
F

The Temple Building

One of Toronto's first skyscrapers, the Temple Building was designed by George W. Gouinlock and completed in 1896 at 62 Richmond Street West - on the north west corner at Bay Street. It was the world headquarters of the Independent Order of Foresters until 1953, and was eventually torn down in 1970. ...more

Follow this link to our 14 entries, dated from 1900 to 1910 related to Temple_Building

1965
  to
2007
Accession

The Ontario Science Centre

Opened in 1969, the Ontario Science Centre (OSC) is a science museum that was one of the early hands-on museums. The buildings were designed by Toronto architect Raymond Moriyama in a brutalist style, contrasting with the forest ravine setting. ...more

Follow this link to our 4 entries, dated from 1965 to 2007 related to Ontario_Science_Centre

1914
  to
1991
Archival

St. Andrew's Market and Playground

Now a small park at 450 Adelaide Street West in Toronto, it has been a public market square since 1837 with a number of market buildings.  ...more

Follow this link to our 11 entries, dated from 1914 to 1991 related to St_Andrews_Market_and_Playground