Holwood - Joseph Flavelle House

Sir Joseph and Lady Flavelle took out a 99 year lease from the University of Toronto for the land at 78 Queen's Park Crescent. They hired the architects Darling and Pearson to design their Second Classical Revival style mansion, Holwood, which was built in 1902. The reception room fireplace has three lines from an Adam Lindsay Gordon poem: "Two things stand like stone / kindness in another's trouble / courage in your own." In the Georgian Great Hall four painted angels look down from amongst the Art Nouveau paintings on the ceiling by Gustav Hahn.

After Sir Joseph Flavelle died in 1939 none of the remaining family wanted to live in Holwood, so the building was returned to the U of T early, and the university used it as part of their new law school in 1940. It is now called Flavelle House. You can see modern photos on the Norbridge Antiques blog page.

 
 

List of all subjects. You can also see all the historic photos for a given neighbourhood. We also have a list of all the photos arranged by date.

And you can also go up a level to see the other photos we've put under the category of Estates_and_Houses photos.

1909 Historic photo from 1909 - Drawing room of Sir Joseph Wesley Flavelle Holwood house - lots of paintings and chairs in Queens ParkDrawing room of Sir Joseph Wesley Flavelle Holwood house - lots of paintings and chairs
108 years ago - Queens Park - 1909
Link to archive record - Map location (From the City of Toronto Archives)
1909 Historic photo from 1909 - Coffered ceiling and artwork in Sir Joseph W. Flavelle's residence - drawing room in Queens ParkCoffered ceiling and artwork in Sir Joseph W. Flavelle's residence - drawing room
108 years ago - Queens Park - 1909
Link to archive record - Map location (From the City of Toronto Archives)
1910 Historic photo from 1910 - Organ in the music room of Sir Joseph Flavelle - Holwood in Queens ParkOrgan in the music room of Sir Joseph Flavelle - Holwood
107 years ago - Queens Park - 1910
Link to archive record - Map location (From the City of Toronto Archives)
1910 Historic photo from 1910 - Front hall of the Flavelle residence with amazing woodwork, vaulted ceiling, and grandfather clock in Queens ParkFront hall of the Flavelle residence with amazing woodwork, vaulted ceiling, and grandfather clock
107 years ago - Queens Park - 1910
Link to archive record - Map location (From the City of Toronto Archives)
1910 Historic photo from 1910 - Dining room, Joseph Flavelle's mansion Holwood in Queens ParkDining room, Joseph Flavelle's mansion Holwood
107 years ago - Queens Park - 1910
Link to archive record - Map location (From the City of Toronto Archives)
1912 Historic photo from 1912 - Open car leaving Holwood - Sir Joseph Flavelle's house in Queens ParkOpen car leaving Holwood - Sir Joseph Flavelle's house
105 years ago - Queens Park - 1912
Link to archive record - Map location (From the City of Toronto Archives)
1912 Historic photo from 1912 - Dining room at Holwood (Flavelle House), 78 Queens Park Crescent in Queens ParkDining room at Holwood (Flavelle House), 78 Queens Park Crescent
105 years ago - Queens Park - 1912
Link to archive record - Map location (From the University of Toronto Archives)
1912 Historic photo from 1912 - Sir Joseph Flavelle's residence "Holwood" in the snow in Queens ParkSir Joseph Flavelle's residence "Holwood" in the snow
105 years ago - Queens Park - 1912
Link to archive record - Map location (From the City of Toronto Archives)
1920 Historic photo from 1920 - South side of Holwood in the snow along Queen's Park in Queens ParkSouth side of Holwood in the snow along Queen's Park
97 years ago - Queens Park - 1920
Link to archive record - Map location (From the City of Toronto Archives)
1928 Historic photo from 1928 - Christmas Card with a photo of the gates of "Holwood" in Queens ParkChristmas Card with a photo of the gates of "Holwood"
89 years ago - Queens Park - 1928
Link to archive record - Map location (From the Toronto Public Library)
1940 Historic photo from Thursday, May 16, 1940 - Flavelle House as it was being converted to the new Law School in Queens ParkFlavelle House as it was being converted to the new Law School
77 years ago - Queens Park - Thursday, May 16, 1940
Max temp: 11.1°C - Min temp: 7.8°C (weather details)
Link to archive record - Map location (From the University of Toronto Archives)