Glen Edyth - Samuel Nordheimer estate and gardens

Mr. and Mrs. Samuel Nordheimer built their grand house, Glen Edyth, on the hill where Admiral Augustus Warren Baldwin's Russell Hill house once stood. Built in 1872, it had over 30 rooms, towers, a widow's walk, and a porte-cochere coach gate. The extensive grounds and 23-acre gardens were as grand as the house itself. The ravine to the east of the house still bears the family name - the Nordheimer Ravine runs south of St. Clair, where the river used to be damned up to create various ponds and waterfalls with small bridges. Eventually the property was sold in 1924, the house torn down, and the property was subdivided and new homes were built.

Glen Edyth is just one of the many estates that have stood along "The Davenport Hill" in Toronto.

 
 

List of all subjects. You can also see all the historic photos for a given neighbourhood. We also have a list of all the photos arranged by date.

And you can also go up a level to see the other photos we've put under the category of Estates_and_Houses photos.

1895 Historic photo from 1895 - Gates by the southern lodge of the Glen Edyth Estate in The AnnexGates by the southern lodge of the Glen Edyth Estate
122 years ago - The Annex - 1895
Link to archive record - Map location (From the Toronto Public Library)
1910 Historic photo from 1910 - Glen Edyth - Samuel Nordheimer Estate - lodge with road through the middle - in intersection of present Macpherson Ave. & Poplar Plains Rd. in The AnnexGlen Edyth - Samuel Nordheimer Estate - lodge with road through the middle - in intersection of present Macpherson Ave. & Poplar Plains Rd.
107 years ago - The Annex - 1910
Link to archive record - Map location (From the Toronto Public Library)
1910 Historic photo from 1910 - Glenedyth gatehouse - Nordheimer Estate in The AnnexGlenedyth gatehouse - Nordheimer Estate
107 years ago - The Annex - 1910
Link to archive record - Map location (From the City of Toronto Archives)
1922 Historic photo from 1922 - Ardwold -  Sir John Craig Eaton's mansion - looking n.e. at right behind trees is Glen Edyth in The AnnexArdwold - Sir John Craig Eaton's mansion - looking n.e. at right behind trees is Glen Edyth
95 years ago - The Annex - 1922
Link to archive record - Map location (From the Toronto Public Library)