The escarpment created by the old shoreline of Lake Iroquois was a natural dividing line as Toronto grew. There has been an east/west route for many years running just south of the escarpment - first a portage trail from the Humber River to the Don river, then a road known as Plank Road, and finally Davenport Ave. The mansions and grand homes on "Davenport Hill" or just "The Hill" overlooked the lake and the growing city. Running from west to east, the following houses and estates graced "The Hill" over the years:
And you can also go up a level to see the other photos we've put under the category of Estates_and_Houses photos.
|1894||Davenport - Wells Residence, n. of Davenport Rd., e. of Bathurst St. - built in the 1820s
123 years ago - The Annex - 1894
Link to archive record - Map location (From the Toronto Public Library)
|1900||Davenport - built by Colonel Joseph Wells in the 1820s, demolished 1913. North/east of Bathurst and Davenport
117 years ago - The Annex - 1900
Link to archive record - Map location (From Archives of Ontario)