Estates and Houses

There are many famous estates and houses in Toronto. While many have been torn down over the years, some remain as a reminder of the grand streets and neighbourhoods of historic Toronto.

Alphabetical links: A    B    C    F    G    M    R    T   

List of all subjects. You can also see all the historic photos for a given neighbourhood. We also have a list of all the photos arranged by date.

1909
  to
1929
Archival

Ardwold - Sir John Craig Eaton and Lady Eaton

Ardwold was the home of Sir John Craig Eaton and Lady Eaton - the name means "high green hill" in gaelic. Built in 1911, it was demolished (some of the thicker walls requiring dynamite) only 25 years later in 1936. By all accounts it was one of the most dramatic houses in all of Canada, second only to Casa Loma next door.  ...more

Follow this link to our 13 entries, dated from 1909 to 1929 related to ardwold

1890
  to
1934
Archival

Benvenuto

Simeon Janes, one of Toronto's earliest property developers (he created Toronto's Annex neighbourhood), hired the architect Stanford White (who designed Madison Square Gardens) to design his mansion. It was built in 1888, of "limestone, with deep windows and a red-tiled roof [giving it] a massive, Norman appearance." The front gate was custom made in Italy, and the name of the house means Welcome in Italian. The house was richly decorated,  ...more

Follow this link to our 18 entries, dated from 1890 to 1934 related to benvenuto

1802
  to
1925
Archival

Berkeley House (John Small house)

Berkeley House stood on the corner of King Street East and Berkeley St. in Toronto's Corktown neighbourhood. Major John Small, Clerk of the Crown purchased the property on August 31, 1795 for $50 from carpenter George Porterbuilt. The original log cabin was already on the property when it was purchased, and the building was expanded and improved over the years by the Small family. Recently the foundation was unearthed as the site is being redeveloped. ...more

Follow this link to our 8 entries, dated from 1802 to 1925 related to berkeley_house

1905
  to
1963
Sir

Casa Loma

One of Canada's most famous landmarks, Casa Loma, was originally built by financier Sir Henry Mill Pellatt along the top of the escarpment that runs just above Davenport Road - the old shoreline of Lake Iroquois. E. J. Lennox was the architect, and construction on the Gothic Revival style buildings started in 1911. Across the street from the main mansion and gardens are the stables, potting shed, and the Hunting Lodge.  ...more

Follow this link to our 19 entries, dated from 1905 to 1963 related to Casa_Loma

1884
  to
1953
Wonderful

Culloden House - John Ross Robertson

Built for John Ross Robertson, Culloden House stood on the east side of Sherbourne St, just south of Gerrard. Built for John Ross Robertson, Culloden House stood on the east side of Sherbourne St, just south of Gerrard. The earliest pictures I could find were from 1888 (or maybe 1884), and the latest was from May 1953. The house was later occupied by Ontario Provincial Police college. Ironically, considering John Ross Robertson's vast legacy, I couldn't find any other information about the house!  ...more

Follow this link to our 14 entries, dated from 1884 to 1953 related to culloden_house

1886
  to
2011
Fonds

Cumberland House

Frederick William Cumberland was born in London, England in 1821 and came to Toronto in 1847. He entered into a partnership with William George Storm and together they designed and built many public buildings around the city, including University College. They designed and built this Italianate villa in 1857-1860.  ...more

Follow this link to our 7 entries, dated from 1886 to 2011 related to Cumberland_House

1894
  to
1900
Davenport

Davenport and The Hill

Davenport was one of the first of many mansions built on the escarpment which now overlooks Davenport Avenue. John McGill built the first home there in the late 1790's, naming it after Major Davenport who served with him at Fort York. Colonel Joseph Wells bought Davenport in 1821 and built a larger home. The Wells family lived in Davenport until it was sold in 1913 when the house was demolished and the land subdivided for houses. ...more

Follow this link to our 2 entries, dated from 1894 to 1900 related to davenport_and_the_hill

1954
  to
1954
Stone

Edgar A. Eaton house

The Edgar A. Eaton house was built on the south west corner of Bayview and Blythwood in Lawrence park. The black-and-white half-timber or "Tudor" style house had a distinctive tower by the stables.

Follow this link to our 4 entries, dated from 1954 to 1954 related to edgar-a-eaton-house

1880
  to
1903
South

Ermeleigh

John Herbert Mason built his mansion, Ermeleigh, on the south east corner of Sherbourne St.and Wellesley St. E. He was one of the founding members of the Canada Permanent Building and Savings Society (which later became the Canada Permanent Mortgage Corporation).

Follow this link to our 9 entries, dated from 1880 to 1903 related to ermeleigh

1895
  to
1922
Archival

Glen Edyth - Samuel Nordheimer estate and gardens

Mr. and Mrs. Samuel Nordheimer built their grand house, Glen Edyth, on the hill where Admiral Augustus Warren Baldwin's Russell Hill house once stood. Built in 1872, it had over 30 rooms, towers, a widow's walk, and a porte-cochere coach gate. The extensive grounds and 23-acre gardens were as grand as the house itself. The ravine to the east of the house still bears the family name - the Nordheimer Ravine runs south of St. Clair, where the river used to be damned up to create various ponds and waterfalls with small bridges. Eventually the property was sold in 1924, the house torn down, and the property was subdivided and new homes were built.  ...more

Follow this link to our 4 entries, dated from 1895 to 1922 related to glen_edyth_nordheimer_estate

1895
  to
1910
Watercolour

Gwynne Estate and Cottage

The Gwynne Cottage was built in the 1840's by William Charles Gwynne, a surgeon and professor at the U. of T. The house was a storey and a half tall, with french doors (unusual for the times, especially considering Toronto's climate). The walls were sun-dried mud bricks almost 2 feet thick, protected by stucco. When it was built there were views from the verandah to the south over Lake Ontario. The cottage was demolished in 1917 to make way for a subdivision.

Follow this link to our 10 entries, dated from 1895 to 1910 related to gwynne_estate_and_cottage

1880
  to
1925
Old

Herne Hill - John Ellis Sr.'s estate

North of Lake Ontario, just west of what is now High Park, stood John Ellis's house, Herne Hill, overlooking Grenadier pond and the lake. John Ellis Sr. bought the forested 66 hectares (160 acres) west of Grenadier Pond for $25 an acre, and built a house, "Herne Hill" on Grenadier Heights. It was his friend, John George Howard (who donated his land to create High Park) that had convinced John Ellis Sr. to buy the land. The area was known as Windermere in the 1880s, as it has rolling hills similar to its namesake in England, and then Swansea by the 1890's. Ellis Avenue was constructed over an existing First Nations trail as the entrance to the Herne Hill estate. ...more

Follow this link to our 8 entries, dated from 1880 to 1925 related to herne_hill

1870
  to
1904
Gate

Holland House

On the south side of Wellington St. between Bay and York street, Holland House was built in 1831 and demolished in 1904. It was originally the home of the Honourable Henry John Boulton, and was later occupied by a mayor of Toronto, Alexander Manning, then by the Ontario Reform Club. The building had a distinctive gothic style - porch battlement & turrets, a circular keep, pointed arches, but no moat. It was at times called "The Castle" for obvious reasons.

Follow this link to our 8 entries, dated from 1870 to 1904 related to holland_house

1909
  to
1940
2009-36-1MS

Holwood - Joseph Flavelle House

Sir Joseph and Lady Flavelle took out a 99 year lease from the University of Toronto for the land at 78 Queen's Park Crescent. They hired the architects Darling and Pearson to design their Second Classical Revival style mansion, Holwood, which was built in 1902. The reception room fireplace has three lines from an Adam Lindsay Gordon poem: "Two things stand like stone / kindness in another's trouble / courage in your own." In the Georgian Great Hall four painted angels look down  ...more

Follow this link to our 11 entries, dated from 1909 to 1940 related to holwood

1956
  to
2008
James

James Cooper House

Still standing on the west side of Sherbourne just south of Bloor Street East is the James Cooper Mansion. Built in 1881, the house is of the Second Empire architectural style with a distinctive mansard (double-gable) roof. (See the City of Toronto Reasons for Designation of 582 Sherbourne Street PDF for details on why the house is designated under Part IV of the Ontario Heritage Act.) Mr Cooper was a founder of Sessions, Carpenter and Company, manufacturer and importers of shoes and boots. ...more

Follow this link to our 3 entries, dated from 1956 to 2008 related to james_cooper_mansion

1906
  to
1955
Baldwin

Lynne Lodge Estate

Frederick Barnard Fetherstonhaugh built his estate along Lake Ontario in Mimico. The main house "Lynne Lodge" (named after his mother's family home in Ireland), and the Gardener's Cottage were designed by Henry Sproatt and built in 1899. The property is at the south west corner of 2669-2673 Lake Shore Blvd. W. and Royal York Road.  ...more

Follow this link to our 6 entries, dated from 1906 to 1955 related to Lynne_Lodge

1875
  to
1911
Mashquoteh

Mashquoteh

Two houses named Mashquoteh stood near the corner of Avenue Road and St. Clair Ave West. William Augustus Baldwin built the first house in 1852, right in the middle of where Avenue Road now passes through Heath Street, just north of St. Clair. The name means "meadow where the deer come to feed." The original house was town down in 1888 as Avenue Road was extended up to Upper Canada College.

William's second wife, Margaret McLeod, built the second Mashquoteh in the late 1890's on the block bounded by Avenue Road, Heath Street, Forest Hill Road, and St. Clair where it stood until 1956 when it was torn down and replaced with apartment buildings.

Follow this link to our 3 entries, dated from 1875 to 1911 related to mashquoteh

1854
  to
1955
Archival

Preston Villa (Earlscourt Park)

Earlscourt Park, one of Toronto's busiest parks, was originally home to the Cooper family who lived there as far back as the 1830's, then sold to the Royce family. The house, Preston Villa, was built around 1854, and included many classical details with a distinctive regency awning (at least until 1934). It stood on a slight rise just north of Davenport, east of Caledonia Road. In 1920 Colonel George Cooper Royce sold the house and the 32-acre (13-hectare) estate to the City of Toronto for a park, which had its official opening on on Saturday, October 23, 1920. Preston Villa served as a community clubhouse and park superintendent's home over the next 35 years, before it was eventually demolished in 1955.

Follow this link to our 6 entries, dated from 1854 to 1955 related to preston_villa

1830
  to
2014
Cottage

Spadina House (Now Spadina Museum)

Three houses have been built on the site - the first house was built and designed in 1818 by Dr. William Baldwin which burned down in 1835. He built a second, smaller house in 1836 on the same foundation, which was torn down in 1866 by the new owner, James Austin when he had the current Spadina House built, which stands to this day.  ...more

Follow this link to our 11 entries, dated from 1830 to 2014 related to spadina_house

Other photos

A (back to top)
1910 Historic photo from 1910 - Ardenvohr - Dyce W. Saunders house built 1906 - 213 Poplar Plains Road at Clarendon Ave. - Eden Smith Architect in South HillArdenvohr - Dyce W. Saunders house built 1906 - 213 Poplar Plains Road at Clarendon Ave. - Eden Smith Architect
107 years ago - South Hill - 1910
Link to archive record - Map location (From the Toronto Public Library)
B (back to top)
1908 Historic photo from 1908 - Berkeley House, King Street East and Berkeley St. - log cabin built 1794, Gothic style windows and stucco added, demolished in 1920s in CorktownBerkeley House, King Street East and Berkeley St. - log cabin built 1794, Gothic style windows and stucco added, demolished in 1920s
109 years ago - Corktown - 1908
Link to archive record - Map location (From the City of Toronto Archives)
1957 Historic photo from 1957 - Blantyre Park - part of 60 acre estate purchased in 1858 by Peter Paterson Jr in FallingbrookBlantyre Park - part of 60 acre estate purchased in 1858 by Peter Paterson Jr
60 years ago - Fallingbrook - 1957
Link to archive record - Map location (From the Toronto Public Library)
1957 Historic photo from 1957 - Blantyre Park - then St. John's Training School for Boys, Victoria Park Ave., e. side, opp. Bracken Ave.; recreation hall in FallingbrookBlantyre Park - then St. John's Training School for Boys, Victoria Park Ave., e. side, opp. Bracken Ave.; recreation hall
60 years ago - Fallingbrook - 1957
Link to archive record - Map location (From the Toronto Public Library)
1937 Historic photo from Tuesday, April 20, 1937 - Bracondale - Demolition of Charles E. Turner Estate in Hillcrest Park in DavenportBracondale - Demolition of Charles E. Turner Estate in Hillcrest Park
80 years ago - Davenport - Tuesday, April 20, 1937
Max temp: 11.7°C - Min temp: 2.2°C (weather details)
Link to archive record - Map location (From the City of Toronto Archives)
1937 Historic photo from Tuesday, April 20, 1937 - Bracondale Hill (1847 - 1937) - Charles Turner house - now Hillcrest Park in DavenportBracondale Hill (1847 - 1937) - Charles Turner house - now Hillcrest Park
80 years ago - Davenport - Tuesday, April 20, 1937
Max temp: 11.7°C - Min temp: 2.2°C (weather details)
Link to archive record - Map location (From the City of Toronto Archives)
1954 Historic photo from 1954 - Briarly - William Johnson Montgomery house - Dundas St. W., s.e. cor. Donnybrook Lane in Chestnut HillsBriarly - William Johnson Montgomery house - Dundas St. W., s.e. cor. Donnybrook Lane
63 years ago - Chestnut Hills - 1954
Link to archive record - Map location (From the Toronto Public Library)
C (back to top)
1910 Historic photo from 1910 - Carbrook estate tennis - built 1877 for Archibald Hamilton Campbell in Royal Ontario MuseumCarbrook estate tennis - built 1877 for Archibald Hamilton Campbell
107 years ago - Royal Ontario Museum - 1910
Link to archive record - Map location (From the Toronto Public Library)
1920 Historic photo from 1920 - Carbrook estate with circular driveway - just south of Avenue Road and Bloor St in Royal Ontario MuseumCarbrook estate with circular driveway - just south of Avenue Road and Bloor St
97 years ago - Royal Ontario Museum - 1920
Link to archive record - Map location (From the City of Toronto Archives)
1946 Historic photo from 1946 - Castle Frank  - demolished in 1962 - Sir Albert Edward Kemp - Bloor St. E., s. side, e. of Castlefrank Crescent (formerly 72 Castle Frank Road) in RosedaleCastle Frank - demolished in 1962 - Sir Albert Edward Kemp - Bloor St. E., s. side, e. of Castlefrank Crescent (formerly 72 Castle Frank Road)
71 years ago - Rosedale - 1946
Link to archive record - Map location (From the Toronto Public Library)
1860 Historic photo from 1860 - Castlefield - between Yonge Street and Duplex - oil painting by Margaret Jackes in North TorontoCastlefield - between Yonge Street and Duplex - oil painting by Margaret Jackes
157 years ago - North Toronto - 1860
Link to archive record - Map location (From the Toronto Public Library)
1856 Historic photo from 1856 - Castlefield estate at Yonge St, - one of oldest known Toronto Photos in North TorontoCastlefield estate at Yonge St, - one of oldest known Toronto Photos
161 years ago - North Toronto - 1856
Link to archive record - Map location (From the Toronto Public Library)
1910 Historic photo from 1910 - Castlefield, the home of Captain James Hervey Price, first city Clerk home in North TorontoCastlefield, the home of Captain James Hervey Price, first city Clerk home
107 years ago - North Toronto - 1910
Link to archive record - Map location (From the City of Toronto Archives)
F (back to top)
1905 Historic photo from 1905 - Fallingbrook - Sir Donald Manns Summer home - built 1907 - burned down January 26, 1930 in FallingbrookFallingbrook - Sir Donald Manns Summer home - built 1907 - burned down January 26, 1930
112 years ago - Fallingbrook - 1905
Link to archive record - Map location (From the City of Toronto Archives)
G (back to top)
1890 Historic photo from 1890 - Gooderham estate  (1885-95) North Glen Road Bridge at South Drive in RosedaleGooderham estate (1885-95) North Glen Road Bridge at South Drive
127 years ago - Rosedale - 1890
Link to archive record - Map location (From Archives of Ontario)
1890 Historic photo from 1890 - Gooderham estate - North Glen Road Bridge at South Drive in RosedaleGooderham estate - North Glen Road Bridge at South Drive
127 years ago - Rosedale - 1890
Link to archive record - Map location (From the City of Toronto Archives)
1952 Historic photo from Wednesday, October 1, 1952 - Guiseley House - Joseph Cawthra - 5 Elm Ave., s.e. corner Mt. Pleasant Rd in RosedaleGuiseley House - Joseph Cawthra - 5 Elm Ave., s.e. corner Mt. Pleasant Rd
65 years ago - Rosedale - Wednesday, October 1, 1952
Max temp: 23.3°C - Min temp: 12.2°C (weather details)
Link to archive record - Map location (From the Toronto Public Library)
M (back to top)
1910 Historic photo from 1910 - Macdonald, Hugh, house drawing room - 350 Wellington St. W., n.e. cor. Clarence Square in Entertainment DistrictMacdonald, Hugh, house drawing room - 350 Wellington St. W., n.e. cor. Clarence Square
107 years ago - Entertainment District - 1910
Link to archive record - Map location (From the Toronto Public Library)
1905 Historic photo from 1905 - Moatfield - David Duncan house - classic Ontario Gothic farmhouse in Don MillsMoatfield - David Duncan house - classic Ontario Gothic farmhouse
112 years ago - Don Mills - 1905
Link to archive record - Map location (From the Toronto Public Library)
1905 Historic photo from 1905 - Moatfield at its original location north side of York Mills west of Don Mills Road in Don MillsMoatfield at its original location north side of York Mills west of Don Mills Road
112 years ago - Don Mills - 1905
Link to archive record - Map location (From the Toronto Public Library)
R (back to top)
1910 Historic photo from 1910 - Robert Cook house - Bayview Ave., looking n. from Eglinton Ave. East in LeasideRobert Cook house - Bayview Ave., looking n. from Eglinton Ave. East
107 years ago - Leaside - 1910
Link to archive record - Map location (From the Toronto Public Library)
1900 Historic photo from 1900 - Rose Hill - Walter Rose's house - built 1836, sold to Joseph Jackes in 1865 and re-named "The Elms" Yonge St., e. side, n. of Jackes Ave in Deer ParkRose Hill - Walter Rose's house - built 1836, sold to Joseph Jackes in 1865 and re-named "The Elms" Yonge St., e. side, n. of Jackes Ave
117 years ago - Deer Park - 1900
Link to archive record - Map location (From the Toronto Public Library)
1920 Historic photo from 1920 - Rusholme estate entrance - home of Colonel George Taylor Dennison - demolished 1953 in Dufferin GroveRusholme estate entrance - home of Colonel George Taylor Dennison - demolished 1953
97 years ago - Dufferin Grove - 1920
Link to archive record - Map location (From the City of Toronto Archives)
1909 Historic photo from 1909 - Rusholme Road, near Dundas in Dufferin GroveRusholme Road, near Dundas
108 years ago - Dufferin Grove - 1909
Link to archive record - Map location (From the City of Toronto Archives)
1870 Historic photo from 1870 - Russell Hill - Augustus Baldwin house - built 1818, demolished 1872, Davenport Rd., n. side (at present Glen Edyth Place) in The AnnexRussell Hill - Augustus Baldwin house - built 1818, demolished 1872, Davenport Rd., n. side (at present Glen Edyth Place)
147 years ago - The Annex - 1870
Link to archive record - Map location (From the Toronto Public Library)
T (back to top)
1902 Historic photo from 1902 - The Priory - built early 1870s, demolished in 1920 in Alexandra ParkThe Priory - built early 1870s, demolished in 1920
115 years ago - Alexandra Park - 1902
Link to archive record - Map location (From the Toronto Public Library)
1896 Historic photo from Wednesday, June 15, 1896 - The Priory - Lucy & Dorothy Ruttan (Armstrong's grandchildren) & dog Bully under the vines in Alexandra ParkThe Priory - Lucy & Dorothy Ruttan (Armstrong's grandchildren) & dog Bully under the vines
121 years ago - Alexandra Park - Wednesday, June 15, 1896
Max temp: 22.2°C - Min temp: 10.6°C (weather details)
Link to archive record - Map location (From the Toronto Public Library)
1895 Historic photo from 1895 - The Priory - William Armstrong house - Augusta Ave., e. side, s. of opp. Wolseley St. in Alexandra ParkThe Priory - William Armstrong house - Augusta Ave., e. side, s. of opp. Wolseley St.
122 years ago - Alexandra Park - 1895
Link to archive record - Map location (From the Toronto Public Library)